Yosemite with audio on DH87RL with Realtek ALC892

The following is now obsolete thanks to AppleALC which only requires the kernel parameter :Boot:Arguments alcid=1.


In order to get audio functionality in Yosemite on my DH87RL motherboard, I follow toleda's method using Clover. The exact method is encoded as a shell script with the required files in a couple of repositories.

The first task is to find out the current layout-id using the command

$ ioreg -nHDEF -r -w0
There should be a section called "HDEF@1B" with a key "layout-id" showing a value.

In my case, the value was 0 which is not a good sign. Thankfully, Clover can patch it by adding the string value :Devices:Audio:Inject with the desired value "1".

After rebooting, the command

$ ioreg -rxnIOHDACodecDevice
identifies my audio chip as vendor and device 0x10ec0892 (Realtek ALC892) and revision 0x100302 (current).

Now I downloaded and unpacked config-audio_cloverALC.plist.zip and copied the two relevant entries from :KernelAndKextPatches:KextsToPatch to my config.plist: Item 0 with comment »10.9-10.10-AppleHDA/Resources/xml>zml« (the purpose of which will become clear in a little while) and Item 4, »10.9-10.10-AppleHDA/Realtek ALC892«.

Then I downloaded and unpacked realtekALC.kext and installed it into my EFI/CLOVER/OEM/DH87RL/kexts/10.10 folder. Finally, I renamed the files Platforms.xml.zlib and layout[123].xml.zlib from 892.zip to *.zml.zlib, installed them in my /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources folder and made them owned by root:wheel.

Next, I ensured that the :SystemParameters:InjectKexts was enabled in my config.plist ("Detect") and that :Boot:Arguments contained "kext-dev-mode=1" and rebooted with rebuilding kext cache.

Comments